Monday, December 31, 2007

The Final Countdown

Well, I would think that if one is going to start something big - it should feel like there is a life altering moment before them. I’m not feeling it - I’m about to change the way I do things, but I don’t think of it as such a momentous thing. Maybe it’s because there are just so many changes to be made that I can’t think of it as just one big thing, or maybe it’s because hindsight will be what defines what I do.

I do know that I’ve made one choice already. I think it’s a good one. I’ve used the same hairspray for years (think 1980’s big hair) - I don’t use it all the time, but it’s aerosol. I’m thinking it should be the first thing to go. So I’m switching to a non-aerosol version. This will take care of both the emissions and the need of safe disposal for the cans. I read that non-aerosol hairspray doesn’t add VOC’s (volatile organic compounds) to the atmosphere and that’s a good thing. Did you know that in 1999 in Oregon, in one day 2.5 tonnes of VOC’s a day come from hairspray? Compare that to 70 tonnes a day for cars and I think that’s pretty significant for something from a teeny can. Now I can’t say how much one can puts out, but if I use 4 or 5 cans a year, then this will add up a little. If everyone who uses aerosol hairspray switched one can - just one can - to non-aerosol it would make a big difference. Now this won't start until I buy some hairspray - but I already have a little pump bottle of it and the other can is nearly empty, so it will be soon.

I've been thinking about all the changes to come. If I make one change a week, that's 52 changes. If I make one change each day, that's 366. I think I'll fall somewhere in between the two. As I said before - baby steps, a little done over a long time will be better than a lot over the short term. It's too easy to go full bore into something, and then burn out.

Tonight is New Year's Eve - the cusp of all things possible. While we will enjoy our evening with family this year, we will also be looking to the future and all the great and wonderful things that await us.

Happy New Year to All!

2 comments:

Susan in SC said...

Jackie - you are right in small changes can add up big time. It's always better to start with small steps to ensure that it will last. Here's to a greener 2008! Susan in SC

Maisie said...

Well done you Jackie!

Best wishes

Maisie