Thursday, January 24, 2008

Another Green Baby Step

If change happens in small increments, I'm moving forward. I now have a bowl and spoon at work so I can have a can of soup for lunch without using any of the throw away instant soups. I bring in a can opener and bring home the can to recycle. This is my lunch choice for when I'm rushed and don't have time to make anything. I do brown bag my food most of the time, and I'm working on making the contents better. I'm a Weight Watchers member - so I am encouraged to eat more fresh fruit/veggies and leaner proteins and good carbs. These are all things that are easy to bring and some of it comes in it's own Nature made packaging. I still need a suitable tupperware container in case I buy something for lunch, but I'm trying not to spend the money there, so it's not a priority at the moment.

I did take a slightly bigger step today and I placed an order for organic grocery home delivery. My food will travel an average of 1125 km's to my door - less than half the usual 2500 km's that most grocery food will travel. And that's mostly due to things like bananas, avocados, mangos, oranges and papayas. These things will never be local for us. I want to give my son as much organic food as I can afford, since it has less pesticides, antibiotics and growth hormones. And it definately can't hurt my husband and I to follow suit and eat better, too. I'm trying to find a balance between the high cost of organic and the best choices in the non-organic foods. I did read that avocados are the least likely to be pesticide ridden - and that grapes can be extremely high in them. I'll do some more research to determine my best organic choices and get the rest at the grocery store.

I'm hoping not to have to shop next week if I have this stuff delivered. That's another good choice - both for the environment (no car emmissions to get there) and my wallet (no veering off the list into oblivion)

No comments: