Litterless lunches are in. And this is a great thing. Not only is it environmentally friendly, it's also cheaper to eat this way. Hmmm.. I think I'm beginning to see a trend - green often equals money savings. But I digress. Here's what you need for a litterless lunch
- A container - a large rubbermaid, insulated bag, metal lunch box, cloth drawstring bag - you choose your container.
- cloth napkin (buy them or make your own as they are simple to sew up)
- set of utensils - I like to have a set of metal ones, but you can buy bamboo or just keep re-using your plastic ones that you'd bought to throw away.
- smaller containers - these are for snacks, sandwiches, salads, etc.
- baggies - I love the baggies I mentioned in an earlier post - they are re-usable and my little guy loves his crackers in them. I do still use some ziplocs, but these are brought home to be re-used.
- re-usable juice/water bottle
- re-usable coffee/hot drink mug
You can go bento box style, where all your little boxes fit tightly into a bigger one - or you can toss them all in a bag, it's up to you. When you have a reusable lunch box and containers, you don't have garbage to throw away. Bring home your egg shells and scraps for the compost. If you do put in a soda or a juice container, then bring it home to recycle.
It's easy to go green with your lunch - so pack both school and work lunches like this and tally up your savings while you're at it!